All year round, it pays to be cautious and alert. There are certain times of the year, however, when your attention to detail may need to be heightened as a result of streets and shopping malls being overly busy and crowded. Everyone wants to have a safe Christmas (or whatever holiday they celebrate). To help make that a little more of a possibility, we are going to offer some of the best suggestions we could find for staying safe at Christmas and other holidays.
Make sure to check and update your homeowner’s insurance, automobile, and/or renter’s insurance before the holidays kick in.
Safe Gift Giving
Gift-giving safety hazards to consider:
- Riding toys, such as scooters, should be given only when accompanied by safety gear that is appropriate.
- Toys with magnets, batteries, and buttons should be given cautiously due to swallowing hazards.
- If an electric outlet is needed for toys to plug into, avoid giving them to kids under 10 years of age.
- Toys with small parts should not be given to children under age three due to the possible hazard of choking. Always consider the approved age range when giving toys. When you see a toy recommended for a certain age group, rather than being based upon physical ability and intellect, it’s actually rated for safety.
Serving Food Safely
Valuable food safety tips for the holidays:
- Thanksgiving leftovers are safe if properly refrigerated for about three to four days.
- So they chill more quickly, cut leftovers into small pieces when storing turkey.
- Within two hours of being served, refrigerate cold or hot leftover food.
- To make sure that meat is cooked at a safe temperature, use a food thermometer.
- To avoid cross-contamination, for cooked and uncooked meats, use separate utensils, plates, and cutting boards. (consider color coding)
- Keep fresh produce and meat separated.
- When handling food, wash hands frequently.
Here are some suggestions for avoiding fires:
- At least once a year, clean and check the fireplace/chimney.
- Fireplaces and candles should never be left burning unattended.
- When a fire is going in your fireplace, always use a screen.
- Avoid fireplace burning of wrapping paper, wreaths, or trees.
- If using real candles, keep them out of reach of kids, somewhere where they can’t blow over or be knocked down.
- If you are using a turkey deep fryer, always follow all restrictions, regulations, instructions, and safety protocols.
Follow these tips when decorating:
- When you leave the house or go to bed, turn off all decorations/lights.
- Keep plugs away from snow/puddles. When hanging lights, avoid stressing, tacking, or nailing wiring.
- Don’t overload sockets/extension cords.
- If light sets have loose connections, bare wires, frayed wires, or cracked sockets, replace them.
- Only lights designated for use outdoors should be used outside.
- If you have children, keep small and/or breakable ornaments above their reach.
- Make sure any heat sources and your holiday tree are separated by a large distance.
- Fire-resistant trees should be used if you prefer artificial over real trees.
- Children and pets should be kept away from poisonous plants.
Every day, not just during the holidays, you want to travel safely down highways and byways. Here are some tips for holiday travel:
- If you’re going to be taking certain prescription drugs or at a party, assign a designated driver.
- Always drive defensively.
- Keep distractions at a minimum while driving – put the cell phone down.
- Buckle up.
- Plan ahead and leave early.
- Before departure, get plenty of sleep.
- Have an emergency preparedness kit with you and winterize your vehicle.
K&N Insurance Brokerage Wishes Everyone a Safe Holiday Season
During the holidays and all year round, K&N Insurance Brokerage offers the kind of homeowners insurance that every mobile homeowner, condo owner, house owner, etc. needs in order to keep their possessions, family, property, and themselves protected (and renters’ insurance if you don’t own your home).
But here’s a bonus! We can also be of assistance by helping you find the right boat insurance, motorcycle insurance, automobile insurance, and more. These kinds of policies are crucial for the protection of your belongings, your family, and yourself.
Get an easy, quick, and free insurance quote online, or call us for an instant quote at 866-517-8268.