If you’ve ever looked at the frequency of insurance claims, Christmas likely stood out as a common time for increased problems and claims. While, of course, you don’t have something specifically called Christmas insurance, you will want to make sure you have adequate homeowners insurance (and more) in place around the holidays (and, truthfully, all year round).
The holiday season is the most wonderful time of the year. Unfortunately, it’s easy to forget about protecting home valuables when you get wrapped up in all that festive cheer. But you must protect them. When it comes to keeping your family, yourself, your possessions, and your property safe over the holidays, a huge difference can be made by taking just a few small steps. Once you take those steps, you’ll have the focus, calmness, and peace of mind you’ll need to truly immerse yourself in the festivities.
Over the holiday season, you can better protect your belongings and home by following the tips included here.
Follow These Tips
By following these guidelines, you’re more likely to keep your home, your property, your possessions, your family, and yourself safe, thereby averting the need to file insurance claims:
- Will your insurance policy, if needed, cover all of the brand-new presents appearing in your home this holiday season? If you’ve purchased anything particularly expensive for a gift, make sure you have enough coverage to replace it if need be.
- If you put up a holiday tree, be careful not to over-decorate it. Some lights pose a fire risk. Turn them off when you’re not going to be home, overnight, and make sure they have a high safety certification.
- Additionally, do not overload extension cords, electrical sockets, with household electrical goods, decorations, or lights.
- You’re obviously going to be out and about shopping unless you buy everything online. When the car is parked and you’re in the store, make sure you put anything you’ve already purchased in the trunk so that it’s out of sight. Lock your car at all times. This is to prevent theft.
- Additionally, in your home, don’t place all of your newly purchased packages and presents in plain view of someone looking in your windows. Put them in closets, under the bed, or wherever your favorite hiding place may be.
- Before you show the entire world what you got for Christmas on social media, make sure your privacy settings will keep that post to close friends only.
- Keep cards, decorations, and wrapping paper away from heat sources like fireplaces and candles. If you’re going to be gone for the holidays, have somebody check on your property. This can be a neighbor, family member, or trusted friend. Have them adjust your curtains, your lights, and more. Make sure your sidewalks, driveway, and walkways are shoveled.
- Again, if you’re going away over the holidays, and you have a home security system, make sure you activate it before you leave. If someone will be checking on your home, make sure they have the access code and know to get in contact with the security company if there’s a problem with the security system.
Note: In general, check your insurance policy. Make sure you are protected against festive season occurrences like wine spilling, accidental damage from various sources, visitors getting injured on your property, etc.
Count on K&N Insurance Brokerage
K&N Insurance Brokerage can be of assistance by helping you find the perfect motorcycle insurance, homeowners, automobile, renters insurance, boat, condo insurance, and more to precisely suit your needs. One or more of these policies will be of the utmost importance for the protection of you, your belongings, and your family – around the holidays and all year round.
Get an easy, quick, and free insurance quote online, or call us for an instant quote at 866-517-8268.