When it comes to car insurance in New York and the minimal coverage, New York is known for having comparatively high requirements. But, for those wondering exactly what the minimum auto insurance coverage in New York is, we have some information.
In New York, every driver must have the following:
- Uninsured bodily injury coverage
- Property damage liability
- Personal injury protection
- Auto liability coverage
But there’s more to it than that, of course.
Do I Really Need Insurance?
If you plan on driving in New York, you absolutely must have auto insurance. It’s the law. The DMV can suspend your driver’s license and vehicle registration if you don’t maintain the minimum coverage required in New York. It is literally considered a criminal offense.
Does everyone who drives in New York have auto insurance? Probably not. But that’s why you want to be sure to get an uninsured motorist policy.
So serious is New York about their minimum auto insurance laws that if you’re caught driving without it, various penalties may take effect:
- 15 days in jail
- Fines as much as $1500 or as low as $150
- Possibly impound your car
- License revoked for one year, at least
- Before your license can be reinstated, another fine will have to be paid
For the record, should the situation call for it, cars can be insured in one name but registered to a different name in New York. If settlements need to be made to insured drivers, payments may be affected, and it can be confusing to the insurance company. Additionally, your partner, dad, or mom (for example) cannot insure your car if you’re the main driver, even if it’s registered in their name. The primary driver of the vehicle should ensure the car, no matter whose name it’s registered in.
Minimum Auto Insurance Coverage for New York – Dollar Amounts
The following dollar amounts apply to the minimum auto insurance coverage for New York:
- $25,000 per individual – coverage for uninsured motorist bodily injury
- $50,000 per accident – coverage for uninsured motorist bodily injury
- $50,000 personal injury protection coverage
- Per accident, $10,000 – property damage liability coverage
- $50,000 per individual – liability for death coverage
- $25,000 per individual – coverage for bodily injury liability
- $50,000 per accident – bodily injury liability coverage
The Best Place to Get Your New York Auto Insurance Coverage
At K&N Brokerage, we take the time to get to know you and learn about your needs. Our friendly insurance brokers can introduce you to the best way to protect your loved ones, and yourself, while driving. At a price you can afford, we will help you get the coverage you need.
We offer umbrella insurance, condo insurance, renters, RV, boat, and motorcycle insurance as well as home and auto insurance.
Compare all prices in one place. Here, on our website, what you see is what you get. So you can enjoy significant savings, we’ll search for the best deals on affordable insurance coverage. Remember, K&N Brokerage has your best interests at heart.
We take whatever time is needed with each client to answer any questions and explain our insurance brokerage system. If you’d like to join the thousands who have already shopped and customized their insurance through our helpful customer service representatives, contact us today.
Click here to fill out a few quick pieces of information for a quote.